Pages

With a name based on a Mystery Science Theater 3000 riff, EPP was originally going to mostly house B-movie reviews. Now though, it has become a repository for whatever burrs get under my pop culture saddle on any given day. Seriously, I must be insane; who else voluntarily reads a book on the history of jeans...and enjoys it?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Upstairs and Downstairs and Back Again

I remember clearly the very first time I ever saw an episode of the classic British television drama Upstairs Downstairs.  I was a small child, no more than 3 or 4 years old, and the show was being re-run on our local public television station.  The very first scene I remember seeing, one scene that stuck with me for years when I couldn't readily see the show, was the very first scene of the first episode: a young woman, Sarah (Pauline Collins), goes to the front door of 165 Eaton Place to apply for the position of a house-parlourmaid.  This being London in the year 1903 when people below a certain social status did not dare try to enter a posh house via the front door, Sarah was quickly directed down to the area door by the butler, Hudson (Gordon Jackson).

I've always loved shows set in various historical time periods, and in my own opinion, Upstairs Downstairs was one of the best of those ever made.  The first item I ever purchased with money from my first ever income tax return was the complete series on DVD, accompanied by the single-season spin-off Thomas and Sarah.

After moving from the house where I spent the first 21 years of my life, my mother and I had no regular television service for a time.  For filmed entertainment, we relied on my somewhat-extensive DVD collection, and Upstairs Downstairs was one of our regular go-to shows when we wanted to really watch something we knew we'd love.

I haven't watched Upstairs Downstairs since before Mum passed away in February, but I still have my DVDs and I may pull them out soon and give them a watch.  You see, I'd been hearing rumors that there were plans to sort of continue the show, reincorporating the beloved character of head house-parlourmaid Rose (Jean Marsh) into a new household at Eaton Place 6 years after the end of the original show.  Now normally, I'm not one for reboots, remakes, and sequels, but when this one comes along, I'll watch.

And I know my Mum would have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails