Pages

With a name based on a Mystery Science Theater 3000 riff, EPP was originally going to mostly house B-movie reviews. Now though, it has become a repository for whatever burrs get under my pop culture saddle on any given day. Seriously, I must be insane; who else voluntarily reads a book on the history of jeans...and enjoys it?

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Self-Indulgence: Ladies I Adore...

This is one of those droolerific posts where I admit to being incredibly homosexual in the way that some women are.
Over the course of my pop culture obsession, I've found myself drawn to certain actresses for any number of reasons.  So, after the jump, here are just a few of the lovely ladies who are tops in my book.




I first saw Cate Blanchett in an Australian film, Oscar and Lucinda.  After that, there was Elizabeth.  If I wasn't hooked before, this was the film that pushed me to that point.  Take a performer I already like and put them in a film about Tudor England and I become one of those eterna-fans who ALWAYS points back to the Tudor film whenever the performer's career hits some stumbling block.  Bonus points for a sequel to Elizabeth almost ten years after the fact, plus appearing in The Lord of the Rings...

Tilda Swinton first came to my attention in that Virginia Woolf gender-swap classic Orlando.  I don't know why so many films I love seem to involve gender-swapping or cross-dressing, but I do know this: Tilda doesn't seem to give a good goddamn what people think of her, and I like that.  Since she played the White Witch, she scores plenty of extra points with the Narnia-freak living in my soul.

Sadie Frost...most people today might know her best as Jude Law's ex, but I've been a fan since she played the lovely, doomed Lucy Westenra in Francis Ford Coppola's production of Dracula.  Now that she's releasing a memoir that promises to document in excruciating detail her psychological problems (that postpartum depression is a bitch, but Sadie's got it beat) I'm ready to fall in love (no homo) all over again.

Nadia Cameron-Blakey, in my opinion, doesn't get half the attention she deserves outside of the UK.  She's lovely and one hell of an actress, Projecting an air of fragility that could turn into badassery at any moment.  That pic of her with a sword?  That's from one of her two appearances on the television series Highlander.  According to her CV, she's highly skilled at fencing.  That sword might be jewel aluminum, but I bet she could take you down with it.



Shirley Manson has been working in the music business since the early 1980s, but she found her real mainstream success in the mid-1990s with the band Garbage.  She's also made me want to connect with my own Scottish heritage in too many ways to count.  With her role as a T-1001 liquid-metal android in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Shirley made the move toward a mainstream acting career and I started to believe that death-by-metal could be incredibly hot.  Today happens to be Shirley's birthday, the big 4-4.  Happy birthday, Shirl.  Here's hoping you stay happy and put out some new music soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lela, your web page was just shown to me. Wow. I'm so flattered!! And in such company too. Thank you. Nadia C-B

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails